Sunday 2 October 2011

Whistler as Host of Winter Olympics 2010

I am linking this blog to Our World Tuesday!

Hello everyone! Welcome to the month of October! I decided that this month, I will have a theme and that will be my vacation snaps at Whistler, BC.  Oh, before I forgot, the daily city photo blogs community rejected my application and the reason was my blogs/website isn't city centric. Too bad! I was torn between joining and showing photos of other places other than the City of Surrey. For me to be qualified, I should only post pictures of Surrey but because I have visited other places and I wanted them to share to my viewers/readers, I decided to just go on with my writing about Surrey and other parts of BC..so here I am..

The 2010 Winter Olympics logo was unveiled on April 23, 2005, and is named Ilanaaq the Inunnguaq. Ilanaaq is the Inuktitut word for friend. The logo was based on the Inukshuk (stone landmark or cairn) ) built for the Northwest Territories Pavilion at Expo 86 and donated to the City of Vancouver after the event. It is now used as a landmark on English Bay Beach. Wikipedia
Me at the Winter Olympics rings.. :)
According to Distance Charts, the distance between Surrey and Whistler is 154km and it will take about 2hours to reach it. It was only my 2nd week here when we visited the place (I haven't shared it before coz I was blogging different topics then). Whistler was the venue for the 2010Whistler Olympics in February (6 months before I arrived here).






2 comments:

  1. Whistler looks like a beautiul place. Lovely photos, thanks for sharing on Our World. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite some modest successes, the Winter Olympics kind of pass us Australians by! But I LOVE Ilanaaq!!

    ReplyDelete